lunes, 4 de marzo de 2013

Melaka Malaysia

The Strait of Malacca/Melaka is a narrow stretch of sea between the island of Sumatra & Malaysia and it was one of the most important shipping lanes in the world from an economic and strategic perspective during the 15th century. In present time, Melaka is now one of Federal States of Malaysia. Previously, it was an independent Sultanate that had enormous power in Southeast Asia. When it was conquered by Portuguese & Dutch, it became the hub of seafarers, however when the British controlled the port, it was destroyed and eventually, the kingdoms prowess became extinct.
On March 2, 2013, I decided to visit the former Portuguese, Dutch & British colony. Coming to Melaka is like a journey back in time to witness the adventures and discoveries during its golden age. During my visit, I took the courage to walk into Old Malacca within our walls. I noticed that some of the old structures are preserve with fine example of a late 18th century two-storey building. Some houses look well maintained and it is like a exhibit for protection, conservation and restoration to encompass culture and history of early Dutch hybrid domestic architecture.
 
Jonker Street. I walked through the Jonker street which is a very attractive place in Melaka. The street is more alive in the evening especially Saturday and Sunday. During my 2 day visit there, I felt that I was lucky to visit the former centre of trade and industry. Of course, my visit would not be complete without buying many souvenirs.
Bukit St. Paul. I climbed the hill and on top of it, is an overlooking lovely town which showcase the century old structure and modern buildings. At Saint Paul Church, some portions of it remain standing. One of the highlights in climbing the hill is that, I had the feeling of going back from the past as I walk through the ruins. This is one of the major attraction in the modern city. The church was built in 16th century located on this hill. On top of the hill, there is a statue of St. Francis Xavier. Furthermore, there are many Portuguese tombstones displayed and each of their engraved are still in good conditions. It's a nice walk up a short hill and well worth because of the magnificent views over the city.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario